I can understand PCOD means feeling tired all the day no matter how much you sleep.You have to deal with hormones , mood swings. Trying everything you know to lose weight and weight doesn’t shift an inch. It’s the SHIT!
One of the very common painful problem faced by girls , ladies in the present world. It is so common that 1 in 5 women are suffering from this condition.
Basic science behind PCOD
Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD), also known as Polycystic Ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a very common condition affecting 5% to 10% of women in the age group 12–45 years.
What we need to understand from the name is “it is the presence of multiple cysts ( in this context cyst is immature follicle consisting of egg) with in the ovary but every women with this condition don’t have cysts”.
PCOD is genetically inherited or acquired due to poor lifestyle( obesity , junk foods , lack of physical activity) or environmental factors.
“Women with obesity are prone for PCOS mostly and women with PCOS are obese”
Your ovaries are stimulated by EXCESSIVE INSULIN or hormone called LH to produce high levels of androgens ie male hormones which effects the maturation and release of ovum and this is reason for irregular periods.
Obesity means presence of excessive fat tissue subcutaneously. Fat tissue has special enzyme that convert small amounts of male hormones in women body to female hormone estrogen. So logically speaking there will be spike of androgens ,estrogens and these both are the culprits in failure of ovum maturation.
- Irregular periods – No Periods for few months but once you get Periods you will bleed heavily. Pain too is not uncommon.
- Unwanted hairs – Occurs due to excessive male hormone.
- Hair fall
- Darkening of skin around neck , groin region.
- Mood issues – Depression. Anger , anxiety , stress.
- Increased of insulin , Insulin resistance , Androgens.
- Cysts are found within the ovary through pelvic ultrasound procedure.
- Infertility – As there is no ovum release it is difficult for a woman to conceive.
- Diabetes Mellitus – Due to Insulin resistance.
- High cholesterol
- Cancers of breast , endometrium , ovary.
- Heart diseases
As of now there is no specific treatment for this condition. Only option is management of the condition. Usually doctors prescribe you Oral contraceptive pills , anti androgens , drugs to overcome Insulin resistance.
- Sugar or processed food
- Avoid dairy products
- No junk food.
- Avoid spicy foods
- No high fat foods.
- Add fish , eggs , chia seeds , flax seeds , gingely seeds , green leafy vegetables , coconuts , soya protein , whole grains
- Lots of physical activity
- Eat fresh fruits ( especially raw guava , papaya , pineapple, apples) , dry fruits( almonds , Walnuts , Pista , Anjeera)
- Drink lots of water
- Aim weight loss – Eating these foods along with physical activity aids weight loss.
I know everyday is a war with your body but never give up! Don’t let the blues win! You are brave enough ladies!
You can also find this useful : Menopause Sign and Symptoms