Motherhood is the greatest thing and the hardest thing as mom is born again with the baby. Women needs to care for herself and for her baby too.Keeping a little effort can make motherhood beautiful. This post is about a common mental problems faced by new mom ( baby blues and Postpartum depression)
Postpartum depression is different from BABY BLUES. Baby blues is very mild form of depression .
Weeping alot without reason , restlessness , lack of energy , impatient nature are common symptoms where as these resolve on itself and so it don’t need any therapy.
It is the kind of clinical depression women suffer from after the child birth and it occurs within the first year after the baby birth.
Postpartum depression is moderate to severe form of depression and family plays a key role in normalising the situation of the women.
Nearly 1 in every 7 new mothers experience this.
- Crying without any reason
- Extreme mood swings
- Feeling alone
- Constant fear of baby’s well being
- Abnormal weight loss or gain.
- Inability to concentrate
- Constant anxiety and fear about bodily changes.
- Severe fatigue
- Difficult to do daily activities
- Lack of interest in sexual activity
- Self harming thoughts
- Menstrual problems ( nearly after 6 months from giving birth i.e after coming out of lactational amenorrhea)
- Family history of depression
- History of clinical depression
- History of postpartum depression in previous pregnancy
- Traumatic events during pregnancy
- Stress in family
- Already existing hormonal imbalance
- Hormonal changes within is main cause of depression.
- Other is constant fear of changing physical appearance and your inability to accept the changed you.
- “Am I a good mother?” or “Am I fulfilling my baby’s needs?” These questions just bombard all the time and kill peace.
Usually diagnosed according to the symptoms you discuss with your doctor. Doctor may advise you simple blood tests to rule out other possibilities like thyroid problems
- Consult your psychiatrist and using medicines as prescribed.
- Good care from spouse and other family members.
- Don’t spend alot alone or overthink about your baby and believe me you are a great mother.
- Lifestyle changes plays very important role and main change is creating time for physical exercises.
- Spend atleast an hour with yourself and give a little time for your hobbies.
- Eat healthy food and eat whatever you like except alcohol , sugar.
- Don’t starve yourself because it decreases milk production which makes you worry.
- Take short naps whenever possible and this makes you feel good.
You are beautiful in every aspect. Talk about your blues to people around and yes it’s completely fine to talk about them with your loved ones