Can’t afford to go out to a dentist? Telemedicine is your answer. Access to WHO: “The delivery of health care services, where distance is a critical factor by all health care professionals using information and communication technologies for the exchange of valid information for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease and injuries, research and evaluation, and for the continuing education of health care providers, all in the interests of advancing the health of individuals and their communities.
Similarly, Teledentistry refers to the use of a telehealth system methodologies in dentistry. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, telemedicine and teledentistry have seen an upsurge in its use. But you would be glad to know that even your common dental problems can be addressed with the use of a technology called teledentistry. It is the use of telehealth systems methodologies in dentistry.
What do you need?While it is not a complicated procedure but still there are a few things you need to have before accessing this service:
- A good teledentistry platform
- Online billing
- Patient education about telehealth
How teledentistry can be beneficial?
- It can be a great educational tool to promote oral health programs like- oral cancer awareness programs, mouth-borne dresses, smoking cessation campaigns.
- Disseminating accessible care to people where health care is not easily available and large part of the population is at risk.
- To get a second opinion. It is your right to get a second opinion about any elective dental procedure.
- Helps to generate revenue
- Emergency dental consultation.
Telemedicine comes with its limitations despite the myriad benefits:
- Invasive procedures
- Life-threatening emergencies
- Lack of equipment
So, you must be wondering about is teledentistry the new substitute for your regular dental visits. The answer to that is still occult as telemedicine is burgeoning in countries like the USA, but in developed countries like India, there are still many barriers to cross before it gains any momentum.