A stretcher, litter, or pram is an equipment used for shifting sufferers who require medical care. A fundamental kind (cot or litter) has to be carried by two or extra individuals. A wheeled stretcher (often called a gurney, trolley, mattress, or cart) is commonly geared up with variable peak frames, wheels, tracks, or skids. In American English, a wheeled stretcher can be known as a gurney.
Stretchers are primarily utilized in acute out-of-hospital care conditions by emergency medical companies (EMS), navy, and search and rescue personnel. In medical forensics, the correct arm of a corpse is left hanging off the stretcher to let paramedics know it isn’t a wounded affected person. They’re additionally used to carry prisoners throughout deadly injections in the USA. Stretcher trolley Size: 210L x 56W x 81H cm.
An early stretcher, seemingly made from wicker over a body, seems in a manuscript from c.1380.Easy stretchers had been widespread with militaries proper by means of the center of the twentieth century.
Types of Stretchers
- Easy stretchers are essentially the most rudimentary kind. They’re light-weight and moveable, made from canvas or different artificial materials suspended between two poles or tubular aluminum bodies. Many are saved as catastrophe provides and are sometimes former navy tools.
- The folding stretcher, also referred to as a prime deck or collapsible stretcher, is comparable in design to the easy stretcher however options a number of hinged factors of articulation to permit the stretcher to be collapsed right into an extra compact type for simpler dealing with or storage. Some fashions might even permit the affected person to sit down upright in a Fowler’s or Semi-Fowler’s place.
- The scoop stretcher is used for lifting sufferers, as an illustration from the bottom onto an ambulance stretcher or onto a spinal board. The 2 ends of the stretcher may be indifferent from one another, splitting the stretcher into two longitudinal halves. To load an affected person, one or each end of the stretcher is indifferent, the halves positioned beneath the affected person from both aspects, and mounted again collectively. With overweight sufferers, the chance exists of unintentionally pinching the affected person‘s again when closing the stretcher, so care has to be made to not injure them when finishing up this process.
- The litter, also referred to as a rescue basket or Stokes basket, is designed to use the place there are obstacles to motion or different hazards: for instance, in confined areas, on slopes, in wooded terrain. Sometimes it’s formed to accommodate a grownup in a face-up place and it’s utilized in search and rescue operations. The individual is strapped into the basket, making secure evacuation doable. The litter has raised sides and infrequently features a detachable head/torso cowl for affected person safety. After the individual is secured within the litter, the litter could also be wheeled, carried by hand, mounted on an ATV, towed behind skis, snowmobile, or horse, lifted or lowered on excessive angle ropes, or hoisted by helicopter.
- A Reeves Sleeve, SKED, or “versatile stretcher” is a versatile stretcher that’s usually supported longitudinally by picket or plastic planks. It’s a type of tarpaulin with handles. It’s primarily used to maneuver an affected person by means of confined areas, e.g., a slender hallway, or to raise overweight sufferers. Reeves stretchers have six handholds, permitting a number of rescuers to help extrication.
- The WauK board can be designed to be used in small areas. The affected person is secured to the board with straps. It has two wheels and a foldable footrest at one finish, permitting the affected person to be moved by one individual, a lot as with a hand truck for shifting cargo. It can be used at a wide range of angles, making it simpler to traverse obstacles, resembling tight stairwells
Different Varieties of Stretchers
- The Nimier stretcher (model card Nimier) was a sort of stretcher utilized by the French military throughout World Struggle I. The casualty was positioned on their again, however in a “seated place“, (that’s, the thighs had been perpendicular to the stomach). Thus, the stretcher was shorter and will flip within the trenches. This kind of stretcher is never seen at the moment.
- For ambulances, a collapsible wheeled stretcher, or gurney, is a sort of stretcher on a variable-height wheeled body. Usually, an integral lug on the stretcher locks right into a sprung latch inside the ambulance with a view to stop motion throughout transport, sometimes called antlers because of their form. It’s normally lined with a disposable sheet and cleaned after every affected person with a view to stop the unfold of an infection. Its key worth is to facilitate shifting the affected person and sheet onto a hard and fast mattress or desk on arrival on the emergency division. Each variety might have straps to save the affected person.