We often listen to people that the following person is suffering from Thyroid and that’s why is getting fat day by day. But wait do you know what is Thyroid ? Do you know Thyroid disorder can not only make you Fat it can also make you thin as straw. In this post we have discussed everything about Thyroid and what is the best Thyroid Weight Loss Diet. So stay along with us and read the entire blog and if you got any question after reading the blog then feel free to comment. Our team will try to answer all queries.
What is Thyroid ?
The Endocrine gland in your neck commonly called as Thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is responsible for secreting two important hormones in the human blood:
- Thyroxine (T4) and
- Triiodothyronine (T3)
These 2 hormones helps human body to work normally. Though Women are easily affected due to this disorder but it can happen with anyone either men, children, babies, teenagers, old people etc. You may be shocked to know that about 1 in 20 people around the globe has some kind of Thyroid either temporary or permanent.
The common sign of Thyroid disorder is the unexplained change in weight of a person.
If the person is gaining unexplained weight then it is signal of low levels of Thyroid hormones, this condition is called as Hypothyroidism.
In other case if the person is loosing unexplained weight then it is signal of high levels of Thyroid hormones which a human body needs, this condition is called as Hyperthyroidism.
In this post we will mainly discuss on whether we can loose weight after gaining weight due to Thyroid disorder. The short answer is Yes. But for this you have to keep in mind some important tips :
Thyroid Weight Loss Diet
Follow the tips for loosing weight if you are suffering from Thyroid weight gain issue :
Important Nutrients Required in Your Diet
You body requires a lot of nutrients for maintaining the thyroid level in your body to an optimal level. Several Medical researches have showed that use of iodine, selenium, and zinc are especially beneficial for people with Hyperthyroidism. However, it is also advised to consult your healthcare provider before taking any supplement including these nutrients.
Zinc is one of the nutrient responsible for activating the Thyroid hormones in the human body.
Many Research studies has also shown that zinc may help the body regulate TSH – the hormone that tells the thyroid gland to release thyroid hormones .
In Developed countries the deficiency of Zinc nutrient in foods is rare as it is present in abundant quantity in food supplies. Doctors generally suggest peoples having Hyperthyroidism to have more Zinc Rich foods like whole grains and milk products.
As Zinc, Selenium is one of the nutrient responsible for activating the Thyroid hormones in the human body. Being an antioxidant it may also help in the protection of thyroid gland from the free radical molecules.
We can easily boost Selenium levels in our body by eating Selenium rich foods. Some of the Selenium rich foods are whole grains, dairy Products, yogurt etc. However MeraFamilyDoctor strongly advised to contact your healthcare provider while taking these Selenium rich food in the Hyperthyroidism case.
We all have heard that Iodine is an important nutrient for the human body. But do you know that it is an important nutrient for creation of Thyroid hormone. The people who do not take Iodine in essential amount in their Foods are more prone from Hyperthyroidism.
Some good sources of Iodine are Iodized Salt, fish,dairy,eggs and Sea foods.
In research it is also found that the excess of this nutrient is also not beneficial as it may damage the Thyroid Gland hence MeraFamilyDoctor strongly advice to consult your healthcare before using the Iodine if you are suffering from Hypothyroidism.
Harmful Nutrients to Avoid in Your Diet For Thyroid Weight Loss
We all know that some nutrients are healthy while some are harmful if you are suffering from some disease. Same is the case with Hyperthyroidism. You need to avoid the below nutrients in case you are suffering from Hyperthyroidism :
From its name we can conclude that the name comes from Goiter which is a disease where the Thyroid Gland enlarges due to which the neck gets enlarged and hence it became difficult to move.These are the compounds which normally affects the Thyroid Gland functionality.
In our daily life we use hundred of Products which includes Goitrogens:
Starchy Plants and Fruits
Peaches, Strawberries, Cassava, Sweet potatoes etc.
Seeds and Nuts:
Peanuts, Millet etc.
Brocolli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Spinach etc.
Avoid these Foods if You are suffering from hypothyroidism
We have already told you that if you are suffering from hypothyroidism you should avoid any food containing goitrogens or you should atleast eat them in minimal amount as possible. Apart from these the foods containing large amount of calories should be avoided as that can increase your weight easily.
Some of the Foods you should avoid are :
- Highly Processed Foods like frozen or pre-made meals, including frozen pizza and microwaveable dinners etc.
- All kinds of millet
- Any supplement as that can contain nutrients in uneven manner. If your Doctor has suggested some supplement than you can take that.
Foods to Eat if You are suffering from hypothyroidism ( For Thyroid Weight Loss)
You can have many options in your food despite of you are suffering from Hyperthyroidism. Some of them are :
- Vegetable : You can eat all vegetables. While eating cruciferous vegetables you should only take them in moderate amount.
- Fruits : Tomato, Orange, Banana, Strawberries and other fruits
- Drinks : Water and drinks that do not contain caffeine
- Dairy : Dairy products like milk,cheese, yogurt in moderate amount.
- Meat : All meats.
Some other Tips for maintaining a healthy Weight:
It is common for a person suffering from Hyperthyroidism to gain weight due to his slow metabolism in the body.
Here we have discussed few other tips to help you maintain a healthy body weight.
- Try Yoga and Meditation : We all know that Yoga and Meditation are very helpful in de-stressing peoples and getting more self analyzation of one’s body. It helps you feel refresh from deep within the soul inside your body and we know that a Healthy body exists in healthy mind.
- Give complete Rest to your Body : We humans are not machines and we need time to charge our whole body to work again in efficient way. It has been found in research that persons getting enough sleep are more efficient than the peoples working day and night in their job. Moreover it has also found in research that sleeping less is directly connected to gaining more fat, especially around the belly area.
- Eat Small in Regular Intervals can Help you develop Mindful Eating. Observing your Eating habits and eating only few bites a time can reduce the amount of food you consume in a day. Moreover it also help you to observe your eating habits like how fast you are eating, what you are eating mostly etc.
Some Other Tips for Thyroid Weight Loss:
- Losing weight is a pledge that you will have to make by yourself, for your body and good health, for a happy life and healthy future ahead. Remember, love yourself first and then someone else. It does not mean being selfish. If you will love yourself and be healthy, then only you will be able to do a lot for everyone around you.
- A person with thyroid has to work a little harder than others and you have to be ready for it. And it is natural as well as right.
- Nothing is easy, coordination and determination are very important.
- It is said that Rome was not built in one night. Don’t know how many years it took. The same logic also applies to you.
- Drink Plenty of Water
- Visit you Dietitian on regular Intervals and follow their suggestions properly
- Exercise is the key for good Health. Walking 5-10 km daily can surely help in reducing weight.
- Set small milestone instead of setting large one’s. Like target yourself of loosing 2 kg in a week instead of loosing 8 kg in a month. Despite of both being the same there are more chances of your success if you set your goal as the first rather than second. It is a psychological factor.
- Follow and surround yourself with positive peoples. Taking inspiration from someone and then working towards your goal increases the speed 2 times.